A malfunctioning garage door can cause enormous frustration, especially if it happens at an inopportune time. A single garage door roller in your system off its track can cause significant damage to the garage door itself, the garage door tracks, the garage door opener, and other components. Whether you have nylon garage door rollers or steel rollers, if they are off track, they might even cause the door to not open at all or fall when trying to open.
If you find yourself in this situation, do not panic! Contact Door-Mart™ Garage Doors right away for professional assistance. Our local technicians are available to help you with any garage door issues you might encounter, including fixing off-track rollers and complete garage door roller replacement if necessary.
We specialize in maintaining and repairing garage door systems. Our technicians have experience working with almost every brand of garage door on the market today. This means they can diagnose most problems you might face with your garage door or rollers.
Call us now at 1-800-829-9833 to schedule an appointment for our experts to visit your home. They will look over your garage system from the top roller to the bottom roller, and all other rollers between in order to find the issue.
How to Tell If Your Garage Door Is Off-Track
The rollers in your garage door are responsible for keeping the door balanced and functioning well. To operate effectively, these rollers must remain in the tracks where there is no space to move around. If one of these rollers gets out of alignment, it can become unbalanced and collapse the whole unit.
You can tell whether your garage door’s rollers come off track in several ways:
- The garage door shakes when it moves up and down.
- There are loud noises whenever you open or close the door.
- One side or the entire door sags significantly.
- The bottom garage door rollers get stuck frequently when opening or closing.
The above examples are relatively easy to notice and should alert you immediately that something is wrong with your garage door. However, if you are unsure how to determine if a garage door roller has gone off track, it is essential that you call our professionals right away. They can quickly inspect your garage door system and let you know what type of repairs or adjustments need to be made.
Causes of an Off-Track Garage Door Roller
When your rollers come off the track, there are many different reasons why this could occur.
Here are some possible causes:
- Bent Track – Sometimes, the tracks bend when exposed to extreme weather conditions or accidentally hit. Once this happens, the rollers cannot engage properly with the tracks and get out of line.
- Stuck or Damaged Rollers – When jammed between the tracks, rollers can no longer turn into the grooves. This will prevent the door from moving freely up and down.
- Spring Break – Torsion springs provide tension to control the movement of the garage door. Unfortunately, when a spring breaks, this can cause the tracks and rollers to go out of alignment and eventually fail.
- Broken Cables – Regular wear and tear can weaken cables within the system. When this occurs, the cable snaps, and the rollers no longer hold their position and pull the door panel off the frame.
While all of the above issues can contribute to the failure of a garage door, lack of routine maintenance, old roller parts, and regular usage can also play a role.
Do Not Fall for the DIY Trap! Get Professional Help Today!
You should refrain from attempting to replace garage door rollers yourself. Replacing rollers without professional help is extremely dangerous and can result in serious injury.
Every year, 20,000 to 30,000 people are injured in garage door accidents. Replacing garage door rollers or repairing broken tracks requires special tools, expertise, and training. When you contact our professional garage door technicians, we will inspect the problem and advise you on what steps to be taken to repair it. Whether you need to install a new roller, adjust the roller bracket, or fix the tracks, we are here to help you!
Call Door-Mart™ Garage Doors at 1-800-829-9833 to schedule an appointment today.